Request a Massage
Why is receiving massage important?
- Relieves pain and promotes healing: helps reduce muscle tension & pain, migraines & headaches, postoperative pain, fibromyalgia pain, and more.
- It’s a form of self-care: increases relaxation, improves sleep, lowers blood pressure, and eases symptoms of depression.
- Receive kind, loving touch from someone who can relate to your experience. Human touch can be incredibly therapeutic and relaxing.
- Reconnect with your body, learn to listen to your body, increase awareness of your body experience.
Styles of massage/touch
Thai Massage, also dubbed “the lazy person’s yoga,” was originally created for Thai royalty to prepare their bodies for meditation. The recipient gets all of the benefits of yoga without the effort. They get to relax and receive gentle stretches, compression, and the physical application of loving kindness.
- Usually, sessions last a minimum of 90 minutes; however, we can do 60 minutes as well.
- Thai Massage is done on the floor with clothes on and uses no oils or lotions.
- If you choose this type of massage, come prepared wearing loose, comfortable clothes.
Visit the following page to learn more about Thai Massage: http://thaihealingalliance.com/description-of-traditional-thai-massage.
Swedish massage is the most widely recognized and commonly used form of massage in the US. Swedish massage techniques vary from light to vigorous and use five styles of strokes: effleurage (sliding or gliding), petrissage (kneading), tapotement (rhythmic tapping), friction (cross fiber or with the fibers) and vibration/shaking. Clinical studies have found that Swedish massage can reduce chronic pain, fatigue, joint stiffness, and improve function in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee.
- Session length can be 30 minutes, 45 minutes, 60 minutes, and 90 minutes.
- Info about clothes off, draping, lotions/oils/allergies
Gentle Loving Kindness Touch
We recognize that some QTIPOC may not be ready to receive a full body massage, but are on a path towards reconciliation with their bodies and touch, so a gentle touch may be a good first step in that journey. There is ample research on the therapeutic value of touch.
This session can be received on the floor, a massage table, a bed, a wheelchair or just about any location. You may remain fully clothing if desired.
- No lotions are used on the body, but essential oils may be used for aromatherapy.
- Session length can be 30 minutes to 45 minutes.
- We also offer the option to receive in-house (i.e. we come to you) if you are located within the Albuquerque Metropolitan area.
We are working towards incorporating Four-Handed Massage to our practice, which involves two practitioners working on you at the same time. Contact us for more information.